The Engineer’s role is to ensure the stability and integrity of client’s voice, data, and wireless network services as either a primary or escalation resource. This is achieved by planning, designing, and developing local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) across client organizations. In addition, the Senior Engineer will participate with the installation, monitoring, maintenance, support, and optimization of all network hardware, servers, PCs, software, and communication links. This individual will also analyze and resolve network hardware and software problems in a timely and accurate fashion and provide end user support where required. Expected from this position are client presentations, pre-sales engineering support, and junior engineer training and mentoring.
Ashton Technology Solutions, Inc .:
We are an established, financially strong, fast growing IT Services firm based in Beachwood, OH, with clients throughout Northeast Ohio who have a presence across the country. We work with clients in professional services, manufacturing and non-profit sectors. The Ashton mission and purpose is to make businesses more productive with relevant technologies. We strive to bring common sense, simple solutions where others may have over complicated things.
Our Managed IT Services include systems monitoring, preventative maintenance, IT help-desk support, and technology related project management services. We set up, maintain and manage networks for businesses with between 10 and 500 PCs, and with 1 to 20 servers in single and multi-site locations. We provide on-site and remote help desk support as well as 24×7 systems monitoring and alerting. We own and resell our own cloud based services. We also provide on premise and co-managed IT services for organizations that need augmentation and support tools that we can provide.
We have a new Full-Time career position. This job opportunity is due to the continued sustained growth of our company. The ideal candidate for this position has a customer service focus and enjoys working closely with business professionals as an expert technical consultant. You have an unrelenting desire for excellence and improvement both personally and professionally. You enjoy working with people and have a friendly and engaging personality. You just also happen to be a highly skilled technologist. You always bring your A-game and have a low tolerance for slackers. When someone tells you that you can’t do something, your goal is to find a way to make it happen. And despite this competitive nature, you are pleasant to work with and willing to help others succeed. You feel the need to get the job done efficiently, thoroughly, on schedule, driving it to a positive and satisfactory conclusion. You love to solve problems and understand that technology serves people.
Senior Engineer Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with client and department leaders to assess near- and long-term IT needs.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to client network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records. · Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Design and deploy client LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including servers, routers, firewalls, switches, UPSs, and other hardware. · Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the IT industry.
- Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Monitor network performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed.
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of servers and end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices.
- Manage servers, including database, e-mail, print and backup servers and their associated operating systems and software.
- Participate in managing all network security solutions.
- Perform server and security audits, and system backups and recovery.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
- Comfort with presenting solutions to small groups and management teams.
- Perform preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved. · Perform post-resolution follow-up to help requests.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Develop help sheets and frequently asked questions lists for end users.
- Need to be available as an escalation point during specified on-call periods.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Experience providing desktop technical support to end users in a business environment
- CCNA, Network+, Security+, MCP or MCTS, A+ certification favored, but not required
- Certifications in vendor specific programs are recommended but not required but must be gained within the first year of employment.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Tenacity and a desire to solve complex problems
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven experience and success with LAN and WAN design and implementation.
- Proven experience with network capacity planning, network security principles, and general network management best practices (LAN and WAN technologies).
- Solid skills and understanding of other common business applications
- Strong understanding of network topology and of network configuration at the desktop level
- Solid PC hardware, software and Windows operating system knowledge- Excellent listening and communication skills
- Excellent web research skills
- Proven experience with server hardware including RAID controllers, troubleshooting, replacement/upgrade of hardware, and rebuilding/migration of servers.
- Competence with testing tools and procedures for voice and data circuits.
- Two professional references required
Must pass a minimum of two qualified, industry specific exams annually for continued employment
A day in your life as an Ashton Consultant will look something like this: You take an 8 am call to help a client who suddenly can’t access remote resources. It’s a critical situation because she has a board meeting in 45 minutes. After fixing that problem, you start working on a network architecture project for a 100 person manufacturing firm. Then a system alert notifies you that a server is not checking in properly and users report they can’t get to the Internet. By 11:00AM you’ve driven 40 miles to a client office to finish the setup of a new secure wireless network, implementing RADIUS authentication. You’re back in the office for a couple of hours, entering your notes and configuring a firewall that has to be ready for a job tomorrow. Later in the day you start the mailbox move process on an Exchange server for a project you are working on over the next few days. A client calls at 4:30PM and has a problem with a software application you’ve never heard of before. . . problem solved after a few minutes of research and you’re done by 5 pm at the office, but later tonight from home, you receive a call from an on-call engineer who is troubleshooting a strange routing issue. After 30 minutes troubleshooting the issue, you discover that the internal IT team accidentally removed a VLAN on the switch. Another 20 minutes making the necessary fix and educating the remote IT team and you call it a day.
This job position demands, and we expect, high octane A-team players. This can be a demanding and stressful job at times, but for the right person, it’s ultimately a rewarding career that provides a great deal of variety and offers continuous challenges. We guarantee you won’t be bored.
Here’s a short list of the technologies most or all of which you may be familiar with in some manner:
- Windows Server 2012 – 2022
- Exchange Server
- Microsoft 365 Platform (Azure, Exchange)
- Hyper-V and/or VMWare
- Sophos Endpoint Protection
- Sophos security appliances
- Ubiquiti wireless access devices
- Complex LAN/WAN routing and support
- Security best practices
- NIST guidelines
- Cabling and troubleshooting desktop PC hardware and software
- Industry standard backup solutions
- Current familiarity with all the latest gadgets and technical innovations
This is a full-time salaried position conducted primarily Mon-Fri 8 am to 5 pm. Forty hour work weeks are a minimum along with availability for after-hours work, on-call rotations and occasional weekend projects when requested or required.
The expectation is that you commit the necessary time to get the job and projects done efficiently and in a timely manner .
Our office in suburban Cleveland, OH (Beachwood) and at client locations throughout the Northeast Ohio region. While remote work is available, due to our strong collaborative culture and need for occasional on-site visits, we are only seeking candidates who are able to work out of our primary office location, with hybrid work benefits, at this time.
Commensurate with your relevant experience and demonstrated skills. We generously compensate your strong work ethic and your ability to provide consistently excellent results.
- Please include your compensation requirements.
- Generous Medical Insurance Plan;
- Paid Vacation/PTO- Excellent automobile and cellphone expense reimbursement;
- Microsoft and related training and certification reimbursements